Community Use of Schools
CUoS Equipment Rental Info
User groups are responsible for their own equipment rental, setup and takedown.
Permit holders are allowed the use of the tables, chairs, volleyball standards and basketball nets that are located at that school.
Use of any other equipment at the school is at the discretion of, and must be arranged through the principal's office. If the equipment is expensive and/or specialized i.e. sound system, lighting, etc. then the school may charge for the use of it and/or require that someone from the school be on site. These arrangements vary from school to school and any agreement is between the school and the permit holder.
Please refer to Board's Policy 408 – Loaning of Equipment.
General Equipment Use Rules
- Minimal support services as unlocking doors and turning on lights are included when requesting after-hour facility use. On-site staff member will return to assigned SGDSB duties once those permitting support services are fulfilled.
- User Group responsbible for own set-up, including any equipment set-up requirements. When submitting a permit, allow respective equipment setup and takedown time.
- If equipment is lost or damaged, the applicant is responsible for all costs for replacement or repairs.
- The use of materials on walls or other parts of the building is prohibited including screws, nails, staples, safety pins or adhesive materials to secure curtains, scenery or anything else in the space.
- Playing baseball, golf, rugby, soccer, or football is not permitted in gymnasiums.
- Indoor soccer balls must be used for all indoor soccer activities.
- Floor hockey is only permitted if plastic equipment is used.
- Baseball bats are not permitted inside schools.
- The application of powder, wax or other preparation to floors for any purpose is prohibited.
- Non-scuff rubber soled shoes are to be worn in gymnasiums for all sports activities.
- Food and flavoured beverages are prohibited in gymnasiums and auditoriums unless listed on the permit as approved..
- SGDSB staff or appointed representatives only may adjust mechanical equipment such as thermostats, fans, folding partition doors and bleachers.
- All items brought onto school property by the rental group should be removed promptly after the permit activity.
- Storage space for equipment may be available. Inquire with school directly.
- If classrooms are used, chalkboards, equipment and teacher aids should not be disturbed. Classrooms should be left in their original state of order.
- Damages arising out of the use of schools by any user group must be reported immediately to the on-site SGDSB custodial staff or appointed SGDSB staff member. The applicant/permit holder has financial responsibility for damages to SGDSB property.
- User groups shall not hold the schools, the SGDSB, their staff or agents responsible for damage to, destruction of, or loss of property belonging to the group or group participants.