Special Education Advisory Committee
"Working together to support exceptional pupils"
Under Ontario's Education Act, every exceptional pupil is entitled to special education programs and services which meet his or her needs. In Superior-Greenstone the Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) plays a vital role in ensuring that exceptional pupils receive appropriate educational services.
The SEAC may make recommendations to the Board concerning the establishment and development of special education programs and services. It provides specific information, advice and assistance to parents/guardians whose children may require additional support.
The following is a list of the Superior-Greenstone District School Board Special Education Advisory Committee organizations and their current representatives:
- Jessica Audia – Superior Greenstone Association for Community Living
- Sharon Groeneveld - Superior Greenstone Association for Community Living (Alternate)
- Bruce Eisener - North of Superior Counselling Programs
- Theresa Nelson – Municipality of Greenstone Social Services
- Kim Figliomeni – Trustee
- Mark Mannisto- Trustee
- Allison Pelletier - Trustee (Alternate)
- Margaret McIntyre - Trustee (Alternate)
YOU ARE INVITED TO ATTEND
Superior-Greenstone District School Board welcomes all parents and interested members of the public to attend the Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) meetings.
The Committee meets monthly during the school year at 3:00 p.m. by video/teleconference at the following sites: Geraldton Composite High School , Lake Superior High School , Manitouwadge High School , Nipigon-Red Rock District High School and the Board Office in Marathon . The monthly meetings lend themselves to discussion on a wide variety of topics and to make recommendations to the Board in respect of matters affecting the establishment, development and delivery of special education programs and services for exceptional pupils. In addition, the committee participates in the annual review of the special education plan, takes part in the annual budget process and reviews financial statements that relate to special education.
If you would like join us, or obtain more information about the Special Education Advisory Committee or special education programs and services in Superior-Greenstone, please contact the board office at:
David Tamblyn, Director of Education
Phone: 807-229-0436 / 1-888-604-1111, extn 232
Will Goodman, Special Education Board Lead
Dorion Public School
SPECIAL EDUCATION IS COMMITTED TO:
- the most enabling environments for all exceptional pupils;
- a continuum of service delivery options in response to pupil needs;
- the provision of extensive resource staff to support the development of quality programs for exceptional pupils;
- the integration of all exceptional pupils;
- supporting preventative approach in programming for all pupils;
- collaborative planning between special education resource and regular staff; and,
- monitoring and establishing partnerships.