To be eligible for OYAP, students must:
- be at least 16 years old;
- have completed 16 credits towards the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) prior to starting the program;
- be enrolled as a full-time student during the program;
- be working towards the completion of all OSSD requirements
Students have an opportunity to become registered apprentices and work towards becoming certified journeypersons in a skilled trade while completing their secondary school diplomas.
- To provide students with the opportunity to start training in a skilled trade while completing the requirements for an Ontario Secondary School Diploma;
- To enable students to make the school to work transition by direct entry into apprenticeship training;
- To provide employers with the opportunity to train the skilled workers they require;
- To provide a viable solution to address the problem of skilled tradespeople shortages in general, and specifically the lack of young people joining the trades.
To learn more about OYAP/Apprenticeship opportunities, please visit the following links:
OYAP Provincial Site:
Apprenticesearch.com Connecting Employers and Apprentices across Ontario
Canadian Apprenticeship Forum:
Ontario College of Trades
For more information please contact:
SGDSB OYAP System Lead/Cooperative Education Teacher
Marathon High School
P.O. Bag "H"
MARATHON, ON P0T2E0