To be eligible for OYAP, students must:
- be at least 16 years old;
- have completed 16 credits towards the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) prior to starting the program;
- be enrolled as a full-time student during the program;
- be working towards the completion of all OSSD requirements
Students have an opportunity to become registered apprentices and work towards becoming certified journeypersons in a skilled trade while completing their secondary school diplomas.
- To provide students with the opportunity to start training in a skilled trade while completing the requirements for an Ontario Secondary School Diploma;
- To enable students to make the school to work transition by direct entry into apprenticeship training;
- To provide employers with the opportunity to train the skilled workers they require;
- To provide a viable solution to address the problem of skilled tradespeople shortages in general, and specifically the lack of young people joining the trades.
The OYAP program has has been enhanced to build on the considerable strengths of the current system. The province is modernizing Ontario's apprenticeship system to increase completion rates, increase the participation of traditionally underrespresented groups, and creating clearer, better pathways for learners. To view frequently asked questions about the OYAP enhancements, please click on the link below.
To learn more about OYAP/Apprenticeship opportunities, please visit the following links:
OYAP Provincial Site:
Apprenticesearch.com Connecting Employers and Apprentices across Ontario
Canadian Apprenticeship Forum:
Ontario College of Trades
For more information please contact:
SGDSB OYAP System Lead/Cooperative Education Teacher
Marathon High School
P.O. Bag "H"
MARATHON, ON P0T2E0