Parent Engagement Committee
The Parent Engagement Committee (PEC) is to support, encourage and enhance parent engagement at the board level in order to improve student achievement and well-being. This will be achieved by providing:
- Information and advice on parent engagement to the board;
- Communicating with and supporting school councils of schools of the board; and
- Understanding activities to help parents of pupils of the board support their children’s learning at home and at school.
- The number of parent members specified in the by-laws of the committee (parent members must constitute a majority of the members of a PEC);
- The director of education;
- One trustee and one alternate appointed by the Board; and
- The number of community representatives specified in the by-laws of the committee.
PECs are to meet at least 4 times in each school year. Meetings are to be held in public and no meeting may be held unless the following members are present: a majority of parent members present, the director of education (or designate) and the board member (or his/her designate).